Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My Inspiration

The two things that inspire me the most in my life are my son and my husband. If it weren't for them, I'm not sure where I'd be right now or how I'd be. I've been having a lot of 'aha' moments lately, sudden and stark realizations about society, life, structures, systems, and so on. Here's an example:

Today I was walking around the Riverwest neighborhood doing some canvassing and distributing RHI surveys. I was at the corner of Clarke and Booth when I saw an older African-American man struggling to walk and even stand up. We passed by each other once and he looked down as I walked by. I turned back wondering if I should offer him something but I didn't know what to do or say. I was at the opposite end of the block and turned around after I delivered all of the surveys. There were two middle aged white men standing on a front porch and they greeted me. Only moments ago did the older African-American pass by. They smiled at me and asked if I was a Census worker and I told them what I was doing. They smiled and nodded and wished me luck and I was on my way. As I was walking away, I heard them whisper some derrogetory comments about the older man that had just passed by as he was struggling to walk and mumbling to himself. I caught up with him and asked him if he needed help with anything and asked where he was walking. For the first 5 minutes I could not make out a word that he was saying. It was unclear to me if he had been drinking or possibly on drugs. I could not smell alcohol so I wasn't sure. It was clear to me though that he was struggle with some sort of mental health issue, exactly what, I was not sure. He was wearing a hat that had several pins, buttons and medals. I couldn't make out what they were but I asked him if he was a Veteran. Our conversation went on for about 30 minutes back and forth and I finally determined that he was drunk, a Veteran, lived a few houses down the block with his younger sister, and wanted help. I didn't know what to do for him, I called 211 and thought they couldn't send anyone and wouldn't have immediate help. I called the non-emergency line and the operator had such an attitude when I said I was calling to try to get this man help. She was mocking me as if I was the crazy one for wanting to help him. I don't think he had any kind of positive human interaction for quite some time. He was so glad that I was asking how he was doing and wanted to know more about him and his story. I walked him over to his house and had him wait for me while I went to my car to get a pen and a piece of paper. I gave him my name and number and told him to call me when he was all straightened out and we'd get him some real help. He began to cry and kept on hugging me. I wanted to cry with him. I left feeling a little better that he could contact me for help the next day. I'll be awaiting his phone call. During this whole episode, neighbors kept staring at me as if I was the one that needed saving. Why would a young white woman want anything to do with that old man stumbling down the sidewalk. For a second, I thought someone was going to call the police because they wanted to help me. Although, they just nodded their head and put their cell phone away as they entered the house next door.

Next time you're out doing whatever you're doing and you see someone that is struggling even the least bit, ask them they're name and if they want help. I really think it would mean a lot to them no matter what the situation.

To add to this, I noticed that he was wearing a hat with certain pins and badges. I discovered that he was a Veteran. I asked him if he had served overseas and his reply was I'm over there all the time, I'm even over there right now in my mind.


1 comment:

  1. I don't want my husband to be this man 30 years down the road...

    ReplyDelete